Build, ship and run scalable, resilient, fail-safe and secure distributed applications anywhere using Docker and Kubernetes
If you have a mission critical application that needs to be up and running 24/7 and each outage would cost you a lot of money and reputation then it is important that you have the right tools and processes in place to handle this requirement. Docker allow you to package the many application services that are part of your distributed application into self contained standard packages called containers. With the tool docker-compose developers can then run, scale, test and debug the application, simulating a production like environment on their development workstations.
This course shows you how Docker can be used to isolate your application services and their dependencies into a single self-contained unit that can reliably run anywhere. You will learn to build, ship and run distributed applications on any platform using Kubernetes as the orchestrator.
With Docker containers, your applications can run smoothly without you worrying about the environment where they run. This aids in improved security, better scalability, resilience and fault-tolerance, making life easier for developers and operators alike who need a standardized deployment and operations model.
By the end of this course you will be able to use Docker and Kubernetes to build distributed applications that are scalable, resilient, fault tolerant and secure. Furthermore you will be able to deploy these applications to any Kubernetes cluster running on any platform on premise or in the cloud.
The code bundle for this video course is available at - https://github.com/PacktPublishing/Hands-On-Kubernetes-and-Docker-for-Distributed-Applications-V-
Style and Approach
This video takes a step-by-step approach and focuses on how to use Docker and Kubernetes to package their application services with all their dependencies into standardized units of deployment. These units are easy to deploy and run on any platform on premise and in the cloud.
- Build resilient, scalable and highly available distributed applications running on any platform on premise or in the cloud.
- Secure your distributed applications by using container’s built in security features and Kubernetes secrets to protect confidential data such as passwords and certificates.
- Monitor and troubleshoot your application running in production and allow the application to self heal.
- Update any service of your application at any time without causing downtime using rolling updates, blue-green deployments or canary releases.
- Avoid cascading failures in your highly distributed application by anticipating failure and coding defensively.
- Use Docker Compose to simulate a production like environment on your personal development laptop or workstation.
- Develop, test and debug code while it is running inside a container.
- Build secure, resilient, scalable and rapidly evolving distributed applications using Docker containers.
- Containerize your application services and learn how to use secrets to handle sensitive data, instrument the services to monitor them, and deal with persistent data.
- Learn how to create production ready deployments for your distributed application using Kubernetes.